Creative solutions for complex challenges.
Hello! I’m Catherine Blake Smith, and I’m passionate about collaborating on innovative, detail-driven interdisciplinary projects in artistic, live performance, non-profit contexts. I value using strategic management to develop socially equitable environments.
I value authentic connection, transparency, and dedication. In my detailed resume, you’ll learn that I have more than a decade of experience in strategic planning, custom web design, and developing effective SOP documentation. Download a PDF version of my resume or connect with me on LinkedIn.
Senior Account Manager at efelle Creative from 2019 to Present
Create and organize internal process documentation for relevancy and reference with teams of web designers and developers at a fast-paced, award-winning agency.
- Manage launch of ~55 website projects, 10 ongoing marketing strategy clients, three branding initiatives, and coordinate change orders ad hoc.
- Develop new process documentation and templates for social media marketing program for eight clients.
- Curate and copy edit project launch guide for client distribution to improve SOP for web projects.
- Restructure and maintain AM Team SOPs index for optimal access, use, and currency.
- Maintain archival company information for improved project timeline development for professional service, non-profit, and eCommerce clients.
Artistic Director at Annex Theatre from 2016 to 2019
Provided artistic leadership for a consensus-based, democratically-run non-profit theatre.
- Dramaturgically supported and produced 25 world-premiere productions.
- Increased grant and individual donor fundraising by ~200% over 1.5 years.
- Reimagined and facilitated annual season structure from four mainstage and four off-night productions to five mainstage productions, geared to increase staff sustainability and actor safety.
- Streamlined season selection process to expand outreach and increase inclusivity of participants as well as quality of submissions.
- Coordinated and hosted 30th Anniversary Alumni Weekend with the Board of Directors, including a sold-out variety show performance and fundraiser for 150+ attendees, raising $10,000.
Membership & Communications Specialist at Theatre Puget Sound (TPS) from 2016 to 2017
Developed and produced responsive, artist-focused programming for Seattle regional professional & volunteer theatre artists.
- Created a customized database to track 1500 members and 100 organizations to facilitate communication and data retention in support of grants and donations.
- Finalized venue contracts and chaperoned tours, facilitated onsite event support for keynote speaker and networking events, and designed and distributed a printed program of events for +50 APASO (2016) attendees.
- Advocated for accessibility and empowerment in stagecraft through newsletter communications and social media management.
- Revived dormant headshot photography program, doubling highest-ever revenue.
Curator of Spin the Bottle at Annex Theatre from 2015 to 2020
Advocated for diversity and inclusion onstage, providing new opportunities for artists.
- Second-ever producer of Seattle’s longest-running monthly variety show, Spin the Bottle, founded in 1997.
- Responsible for curating 100+ acts per year in a diverse and inclusive array of comedy, theatre, storytelling, burlesque, music, and performance art, providing unique opportunities for performers to premiere and workshop their work.
Production Manager at Annex Theatre from 2012 to 2019
Trained company volunteers and coordinated production events.
- Developed documentation, provided scheduling support, and facilitated communication and production meetings with directors, casts, and crews of 20 world-premiere productions with Annex Theatre staff.
Web and Graphic Designer at Humpday Farmers Market from 2019 to Present
- Design and develop themed WordPress site for outdoor, weekly farmers-owned market of 12+ vendors located in Southern Illinois.
- Create annual and seasonal designs for print advertising.
- Implement regular content updates and site maintenance.
Copy Editor and Web Designer at Deconstruct Collective from 2019 to 2020
- Restructured and redesigned Squarespace website for Deconstruct Collective, a Seattle-based performance critique group.
- Selected theme, updated site architecture, transferred and copyedited three years of content, and created a standardized template for future publications.
Web Developer at NWTheatre from 2018 to Present
- Develop themed WordPress website dedicated to reviewing Seattle-area performance and art.
- Create wireframes and design information architecture.
- Provide resources for periodic site maintenance.
Web Project Manager at Ready, Set, Transfer! (RST) from 2018 to 2019
- Project managed Ready, Set, Transfer! (RST)—a nationally-funded academy and scholarship program for academic transfer students—website redesign for Seattle Colleges.
- Selected and edited photos, provided content strategy and copyediting, and coordinated with the IT Department to implement Drupal CMS.
Marketing Support at Annex Theatre from 2016 to 2018
- Designed and created digital and print assets, social media campaigns, and online newsletters for four productions, three festivals, and two events–including the 30th Anniversary Alumni Weekend.
Script Coordinator with Script Tease from 2015 to Present
- Invite playwrights and coordinate script curation for Script Tease, a full-length production where actors perform a staged reading of six scripted pages by one playwright, then improvise the rest.
- Produced at Theater Schmeater, Annex Theatre, and Unexpected Productions.
Director, Curator & Playwright at Annex Theatre from 2013 to 2019
- Responsible for leading casts and crews for five productions—including two festivals—in rehearsals and design processes. Provided dramaturgical development support to emerging and established local playwrights of three one-act and two full-length world-premiere plays:
- The Neverborn by Kelleen Conway Blanchard (Director, full-length)
- Row Yr Boat (Achievement Unlocked) by Wesley K. Andrews (Director, full-length)
- Research & Development Wing (Curator, festival)
- The Zig Zag Festival: The Strongest Flavor by L. Nicol Cabe (Director, one-act)
- The Zig Zag Festival: Mythologizing me like I do you (Playwright, one-act)
- Star-Crossed, and other tales from a devious universe: Sending a Message by Scotto Moore (Director, one-act)
See more projects in my Portfolio.
Education & Affiliations
- Certificate in Project Management at University of Washington, 2022
- Web Design Certificate at Seattle Central College, Dean’s List, 2019
- B.A. Theatre Arts & History at Illinois Wesleyan University, magna cum laude, Dean’s List, 2009
- Lab Participant at Directors Lab North, 2019
- Project Manager
- Web Designer
- Artistic Director
- Production Manager
- Event Planner
- Communications Specialist
- Graphic Designer
- Marketing Consultant
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Project Management
- Strategic Planning
- Client Consultation
- Copy Editing
- Public Communications
- Marketing Campaign Coordination
- Social Media Management
- UI Design • Wireframing
- Graphic Design
- Volunteer Coordination
- Contextual Research
- Event Planning
- Basecamp 2 • Paymo
- Canva • Photoshop
- Illustrator • InDesign
- Google Workspace • Apple iWork
- Microsoft Office & 365 • Smartsheet
- Google Analytics • Tag Manager
- Meta Business Manager • Sprout Social
- BigCommerce • Shopify • WooCommerce
- WordPress • Squarespace • Wix • Drupal
- HTML5 • Bootstrap • CSS